Most Popular Stranger Things Party Decorations
How To Plan The Ultimate Stranger Things Party
Table Of Contents
Looking for Stranger Things birthday party ideas? In this detailed guide you'll learn everything you need to know to throw an epic Stranger Things Birthday Party. This guide is broken down into a few sections to help bring some strange fun into all aspects of your party.
The third season of Stranger Things is coming on July 4th, and we can't wait to help you plan a watch party! How much do we love Stranger Things on a scale of 1-10? That would have to be 11!
When the show Stranger Things came to television, our world turned "Upside Down!" If you can relate, you're going to love our Strange Times party supplies all based on the Stranger Things T.V. Show. Stranger Things is a sci-fi series set in the ’80s and is about a boy who goes missing in another dimension called The Upside Down! But we know you love Stranger Things for more than just it's on-the-edge-of-your-seat storyline. The show also offers fun throwback references, good music, amazing vintage fashion, and inspires friendship goals for all of us (I'm lookin' at you Mike and Eleven)!
When Stranger Things hit Netflix, there's a reason it took off so well! Unlike most series, each season of the show is short with a clear beginning, middle, and end but leaves the viewer enough to make you want to come back for the next season. Each character is given just the right amount of time to feel connected to. It feels as if the show laid out the story well enough beforehand so that they could tell each important piece well instead of making episode after episode with no actual clear end.
The show is great for kids of the '80s or for those who want to learn more about that decade! According to E News, "E.T., Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Goonies, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Poltergeist, and even Pretty in Pink all make appearances in their own way, along with so many more of pop culture's biggest moments from the '70s and '80s. You can spend the entire series just searching for references, and you may never even find them all." In an ever-changing world, we all love nostalgia, and this show can give an '80s kid exactly that!
Here is a rundown of the main characters:
- Eleven: girl with psychokinetic powers who loves waffles, has a shaved head, and can travel to The Upside Down.
- Dustin Henderson: plays D&D, is a member of the AV club and is obsessed with food.
- Lucas Sinclair: likes wearing camo bandanas when things get heated, also plays D&D.
- Mike Wheeler: The party’s courageous leader, plays D&D, always wears striped shorts or sweaters.
- Will Byers: the boy who disappeared into The Upside Down, loves D&D, science and drawing.
The Show's Popularity:
Parrot Analytics tracks video streaming, social media activity, photo sharing, blogging, fan and critic rating platforms, and other sources to put together data for viewership and growth for popular streamers such as Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. The recent findings from Parrot Analytics is that Stranger Things is the most popular streaming show in the world.
The service found that in the U.S., Netflix is in demand for more than 70 percent of the total digital original series. Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and other platforms accounted for around 10 percent each.
When it comes to global results, Stranger Things has led all streaming series in demand in every market except Australia where it rates number 2.
There have been 23.4 million demand expressions, which shows the immense popularity of the show.
According to Nielsen’s research, "Season two averaged approximately four million viewers per episode, with three million of those landing in the key 18 to 49 age demographic within the first three days of the season’s release (October 27 to October 29). The season two premiere averaged a huge 15.8 million viewers with 11 million in the 18-49 demo within the first three days."
Nielsen also reports that 361,000 people finished all nine episodes of the season within the first 24 hours of its release. Can you say binging evidence?
Season Two of Stranger Things averaged 8.8 million viewers per episode within one week of its release and was the most watched premiere. It will be interesting to see the results of the Season Three premiere and how they differ! Do you think there will be an increase or decrease in views?
Well, all we know is that we are ready for the premiere and we know you are looking forward to planning that premiere party with all of your friends!
Stranger Things Themes & Symbolism for Your Party
For those at your party who are unfamiliar with the show, here are the key highlights:
- The show is set in the 1980's
- A big focus is on paranormal activity
- A boy goes missing and his friends search for him
Just from these three aspects alone, we can begin to piece together some symbolism to get ideas for Stranger Things party decorations. Let’s look deeper into the 1980’s theme, both in the show and as an era. Some ideas we can develop from both might be:
- Cassette tapes & old radios/boomboxes
- Games (Dungeons & Dragons)
- Shows (Star Wars)
- 80’s-style hair, clothing, and accessories such as glasses
As for the second bullet point, the focus on paranormal activity:
- A large piece of symbolism in Stranger Things centers around a wall with old flowery wallpaper. There are letters scrawled on the wall and Christmas lights hang around the letters. This will be involved in many of our suggestions below.
- Another big theme is a dark forest. You can use this look to add life to party decorations, bags, cakes and more. There is both a dark forest with the blue of early nightfall, as well as a forest with a blood-red background to symbolize The Upside Down.
- There is symbolism such as old, abandoned buildings and terrifying monsters as well.
Onto the third bullet point...the missing boy. Let’s take a look at some ideas we can derive there:
- “Missing” posters
- Weapons & resources for a "hunt"
The concepts above can be used in many ways and in many combinations for a Stranger Things birthday party.
A Stranger Things themed party may seem a bit bizarre for the guests who aren't familiar with the show, but they will still have a great time and be intrigued by the party setup! It will be a throwback to the '80s while still offering a unique vibe for those who didn't experience the '80s. We have all the best ideas from party decorations, supplies, food, cake, and games without turning your budget upside down!
Let's get started with all the best tips:
Party Invitations & Thank-Yous
What is one thing every party needs? GUESTS! So before you start the party, be sure to send out our Strange Times Invitations. And, when the party is over, send those thank you cards! We love the looks of our invites/thank you's below:
Strange Times Thank You Notes: Each sturdy paper invitation features a place for the event name, time, date, place and RSVP info. Each paper invitation is perfect for a pen or marker and measures 4" x 6".
Strange Times Invites W/Envelopes: Our awesome Strange Times Thank You Notes are the perfect way to wrap up your Stranger Things celebration! Each sturdy paper thank you card features a place to write a personal message to your party guests. Each paper card is perfect for a pen or marker and measures 4" x 6".
Once the invites are sent, it's time to make sure all the details of your party are in place! Every host knows that when you have a party, it's important to think through how to evoke all the senses for your guests: sight, sound, taste, smell, and touch. Imagine yourself as a guest at the party. Think through what you will see, hear, smell, taste, and touch as a guest. Allow those ideas to help you make your plans!
Why are the 5 senses important? They evoke higher levels of engagement and increase memories of a particular event.
Sight: think through what party supplies will appeal to the eyes of your guests.
Sound: find the right soundtrack for your party.
Taste: when you eat something incredible, you remember it! Cater to your guests tastes.
Smell: this party will transport you to a different time, but let your sense of smell do the same. According to a report, “scent is the only one of our five scenes that goes directly to into the limbic system of our brain” where our emotions, memory and associative learning are stored.
Touch: plan games and activities that evoke this sense for those who are more tactile.
To give your Stranger Things party a smell that feels like you are right there on the set, think DIY waffle candle. Eleven is all about waffles, so why not bring the waffle smell to your party? Here is a recipe:
Waffle Candle Recipe
Supplies: Glass jar, wick, candle wax, crayons, syrup
- Cut up candle wax
- Boil wax in a glass jar sitting in a pan of boiling water
- Stir occasionally to help wax melt easily
- Once it melts, add crayons for color (melt)
- Add syrup for the smell
- Stir all ingredients together until completely melted
- Once melted, pour into a glass jar
- Leave the wick sticking out tied to a pencil so the wick stays up
- Let dry overnight
- Light wick at the party
- Make multiple candles to ensure the party fills with the scent of Eleven's waffles
Set the scene of the party by providing the right kind of music to delight the sense of hearing for your guests:
- Devo – “Whip It” (Season 2)
- The Psychedelic Furs – “The Ghost In You” (Season 2)
- Queen – “Hammer To Fall” (Season 2)
- Post Animal – “Special Moment”
- Jonathan Bree – “You’re So Cool”
- MGMT – “Little Dark Age”
- Joy Division – “Atmosphere” (Season 1)
- Dolly Parton – “The Bargain Store” (Season 1)
- The Clash – “Should I Stay Or Should I Go” (Season 1)
Playlists: If you want easy-to-download playlists that are already put together and need no effort on your part, here are a few playlists you can download through Spotify! One playlist option is called Eleven's Breakfast Jams. This playlist includes songs like Papa Don't Preach by Madonna, Shut Up and Let Me Go by The Ting Tings, Revenge by Patti Smith, Buzzcut Season by Lorde, and more! Another great playlist is Lucas' Bike Around Tracks. This playlist includes songs such as Bicycle Race by Queen, Biking by Frank Ocean, Beat It by Michael Jackson, Let It Be by Bondax, Pusherman by Curtis Mayfield, and more! Billy's Pedal To The Metal playlist includes songs like Dude (Looks Like A Lady) by Aerosmith, Thank God I'm Not You by Himalayas, Fight For Your Right by Beastie Boys, Broken Bones by CRX and many more 80s faves!
Now it's time to focus on what the guests will see and that is the decorations and party supplies:
1. Party Decorations
Our party supplies give off the perfect vibe to go along with the Stranger Things show! You are sure to WOW your guests (and your wallet) with our party supplies! We have dinner plates, dessert plates, napkins, party packs, cups, placemats, and more all perfectly fitting to the theme! The designs feature the dark woods, the phrase "Friends Don't Lie," the number "11," and Joyce's Christmas lights setup. Check out some pictures of the product and their descriptions below. You can head to Discount Party Supplies, quickly drop our products into your cart, and have everything at your door ready for the party without you ever leaving the house.
- Strange Times Dinner Plates: Our sturdy Strange Times 9-Inch Dinner Plates are strong and sturdy and can be used more than once throughout the night of the party so that guests aren't as wasteful. Our sturdy paper design is perfect for macaroni and cheese, pizza, fruits and veggies, meatballs and much more. We have all the perfect things to fill your plates listed further down in this post, so make sure you check out our food recommendations!
Strange Times Lunch Napkins: These sturdy Strange Times Lunch Napkins are the perfect addition to your next Stranger Things get-together! Napkins are decorated with the infamous "Friends Don't Lie" phrase from the show in a vivid red color.
Strange Times Dessert Plates: Featuring a Stranger Things inspired design displaying a spooky background and the iconic 11, any fan of the hit series will smile when they see our dessert plates!
Strange Times Deluxe Party Packs: Strange Times Deluxe Party Packs are a quick and easy way to serve your guests at your party! The pack includes 16 dinner plates, 16 dessert plates, 20 lunch napkins, 16 9oz cups, and 2 table covers. After getting this pack, your party tables will be good to go!
Strange Times Party Supplies Packs: Our Strange Times Party Supplies Pack includes individually-wrapped packages of 9-inch dinner plates, 7-inch dessert plates, 2-ply paper napkins, and 9-ounce paper cups. If you don't use all the packages right away, you can store them away easily and conveniently for use once you're ready to take them out. This pack is different from the deluxe pack because it doesn't include table covers.
Strange Times 9oz Cups: No one wants cups that leak all over them! Our sturdy Strange Times 9-ounce cups are stronger and sturdier than other party brands, making them perfect for reuse instead of having to throw them away after just one use. Our sturdy paper design is perfect for holding both hot and cold liquids, and won't get wet and drain onto your table halfway through your party.
Strange Times Placemats: These cool paper placemats feature unique Christmas lights on an 80s wallpaper design and are perfect for inside or outside use! Decorate your party tables quickly and easily with the help of our fun party placemats. Each placemat measures 12" x 18."
Photo from: Buzzfeed.com
For a decor option, why not recreate Joyce's Christmas light communication board? String up Christmas lights and have them hovering over the alphabet letters A-Z. When choosing Christmas lights, make sure all the lights don't go out when one does. Choose a message for your guests and then make sure to unscrew the bulbs over the letters that don't appear in the message when you turn it on.
Strange Times Drink Labels: Add a unique feature to your Stranger Things viewing party or other event with these Strange Times Large Drink Labels! Each pack comes with one label that reads, Eleven Elixir, and the other reads, Strange Soda. These fun decorations fit easily around most standard 2-liter bottles; simply wrap around with the design facing out and secure the seams with tape. Ink will not run with moisture.
Strange Times Mini Centerpieces: These cool centerpieces are a breeze to put together and reuse! Simply fold at each crease and attach the two bottom pieces. That's it; they are ready to go! When you're done, simply take them apart and store them in a dry place to use another time, like if you have regular viewing parties with friends!
Strange Times Tablecovers: These cool plastic table covers feature our unique Strange Times design across the entire cover. Perfect for inside or outside use, you can decorate your party tables quickly with the phrase "Friends Don't Lie" on the borders and a firey top! Each cover measures 54" x 108", the perfect size for your square party tables.
Strange Times Jointed Banners: These awesome paper banners read "Happy Birthday" with the iconic Christmas lights and flowery wallpaper background and are perfect for inside or outside use! Hang on porches, party rooms or bedrooms. Each cool banner measures 7' x 6".
Strange Times Door Signs: Our fun Strange Times Door Signs feature a spooky, realistic design inspired by the hit TV series! Featuring our creepy version of The Upside Down, these decorations will take your guests right into the show!
Strange Times Party Signs: Our paper party signs read "All Friends Welcome!" and also feature the iconic Christmas lights on a flowery wallpaper background.
If you want a big but amazing DIY undertaking, create The Demogorgon and a portal to the Upside Down! A tutorial through all the steps can be seen in the video below:
Here are the instructions from the video:
DIY Demogorgon Head
- Mold petals with kitchen foil
- Attach with masking tape
- Create 5x petals
- Stick tissue onto petals with glue or paper mache
- Create the middle of the head in a similar shape
- Attach the center of the head and five petals to a square piece of cardboard
- Wrap entire piece with tissue and paper mache
- Sit out to dry
- Paint with shades of red, gray, black, and brown paint
- Create teeth with white modeling clay, let dry, then glue on teeth
- Use hot glue on a stick-free surface and, once dry, glue onto Demogorgon
- Hang the piece of cardboard onto the wall
DIY Upside Down Portal
- Create branches using polyurethane foam sprayed in the shape of branches on a black bin bag
- Paint once dry
- Cut branches out from trash bag
- Attach to the wall with black electrical tape as this will not damage the wall
- Attach black bags to the wall with brown parcel tape
- Drape saran wrap throughout branches across the "hole" of the upside down
- Make claws with foil, wrap with white tape and paint gray
- Add around the branches on the wall
A few other fun decor options that fit the theme perfectly can be found below:
- Supplies: fake hand, cheesecloth, paper mache supplies, and liquid starch
- Tape hand onto cardboard the size of a picture frame insert
- Make sure the hand is sticking out from the cardboard as if you could shake the hand
- Cover the hand in paper mache material that is white
- Add cheesecloth all around the hand to look like the hand is reaching through the Upside Down
- Stick cardboard and hand into picture frame without the glass so the hand is sticking out of the picture frame
- Hang the frame on the wall so that it resembles Nancy's hand reaching through the Upside Down
- Supplies: picture frame, construction paper, markers
- Draw strands of Christmas lights across a piece of construction paper in three rows
- Write the letters of the alphabet under each Christmas light
- Color the lights that tell a message you want guests to see
2. The Food
Taste is one of the biggest senses that your guests will want to indulge. It's important to consider the food because your guest's satisfaction depends on it! Lucky for us, it's easy to come up with a Stranger Things themed food table because different foods were featured several times in the show! Eleven had quite the sweet tooth, and we are guessing your guests might too! Here are our food suggestions for your Stranger Things party:
Use our chalkboard signs to label the food items that go along with the theme:
Eleven’s Chicken & Waffles: Grab some chicken nuggets and mini waffles and serve them on a platter with the label: “Eleven’s Chicken & Waffles.”
Benny’s Burgers French Fries: Crinkle Fries are a must! There is a scene in the show when Eleven sneaks into Benny’s Burgers and binges on french fries.
Walkie Talkie Juice Boxes: Walkie Talkies are used constantly in the series, so turn your juice boxes into a walkie talkie! Below is a tutorial for how to make this happen.
Hawkins Middle School Chocolate Pudding: In the show, Dustin is convinced that the lunch lady at Hawkins Middle School hoards chocolate pudding. Your guests may want to do the same!
Dustin’s Energy Snacks: You can count on Dustin to stock up on food while preparing to go find Will! He stocks up on Nutty Bars, Pringles, and Vanilla Wafers, so all of these must be included at the food table for a Stranger Things episode!
Upside Down Cake: Here are 24 Upside Down cake recipes you can browse through and pick one to feature at the party! A few recipes you will find are raspberry-peach, apple, strawberry, carmel-apple, and the classic pineapple!
Waffle Station: Remember how we said how much Eleven loved waffles? There's no way you can have a Stranger Things themed party without them! Set up an amazing waffle topping station! This is the perfect food to serve to your Stranger Things-loving guests! Have a stack of waffles ready-to-go surrounded by a variety of toppings so everyone can find something they love. You don't need to have every topping, but here are some ideas to have at the station:
- Ice cream-multiple flavors, please! Don't forget the classics: chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.
- Fresh fruit-there are so many delicious fruit options! Think berries, pineapple, and bananas! Fruit adds a healthy component to the waffle and helps you feel better about eating more than one *wink*
- Whipped cream- you can never go wrong with a dab of whipped cream, or covering the entire thing with a tower of whipped cream!
- Sprinkles- this is a fun option for kids! (Or adults -- no shame *wink*)
- Chocolate chips, marshmallows, honey, cinnamon & sugar, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce- if you're going to have a waffle, you might as well go all in and enjoy all the sweets!
- Chopped Nuts-if you are all about the sweets, balance it out a bit with some salty flavors! Chopped nuts are the perfect way to balance the sugary toppings.
- Coconut- this is a love it or hate it ingredient, but those who love it will thank you for including it as an option!
Photo from: Karaspartyideas.com
Candy Station: Have a candy station that features the favorite candies from the 80s!
- Pop Rocks is a well-known candy developed in the 70s and known for its flavor explosion that you can taste and hear! The video below will give you a blast from the past and has so many Stranger Things vibes!
- Razzles: This candy morphs from candy to a chewable piece of gum! It's like a delicious 2-in-1!
- Hubba Bubba: This gum has been a staple of childhoods for years!
- Jaw Breakers: A hard candy was often called a jawbreaker in the candy industry.
- Runts: One of Willy Wonka's early candies introduced in 1982 and is shaped in the fruits the flavors represent.
- Dots: Known as America’s favorite, #1-selling gumdrop brand. They are sticky but full of flavor!
- Sprees: Spree candy shells that are sweet on the inside and tart on the outside and shaped like sweet-tart disks.
- Cans of coke: Eleven tried to crush cans of coke with her mind, so these fit the theme perfectly!
At the end of the party, let guests put leftover candy into their party favor bags to take home! You will get a kick out of our Boombox Party Favor Boxes that represent the party perfectly!
Of course, you can offer other snacks and treats as well, but we wanted to keep our recommendations on point with the theme and we are confident these treats will make even the strangest guest excited!
3. The Cake
This is the perfect Stranger Things cake! The detailed "how-to" instructions can be found at missestephanie.com!
- 1 box of cake mix (any flavor works)
- White frosting
- Peanut M&M's
- Black cake icing or gel icing pen (need to be able to write with it)
- 9.5" x 13" aluminum pan
- Non-stick spray
If you're not into cakes, how on-theme are these Christmas light cupcakes to go along with the communication wall seen in most episodes of the show? Learn how to make them from bakedbree.com!
Stranger Things Eleven Cake:
This tutorial is found from sprinkebakes.com:
Make the wall:
1. You'll need about 4 ounces of chocolate fondant, kneaded and rolled flat on a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Using a paring knife, cut an 8.5 x 2.5-inch piece from the fondant. Use a skewer or toothpick to striate the piece to look like paneling. Use the tip of the skewer to punch 'nail holes'.
2. Dust the piece with dark cocoa powder using a small dry artists' brush.
3. Use dots of light corn syrup on the undecorated side and adhere the fondant piece to the bottom side of the cake.
4. Use a small, barely damp sea sponge to apply food color to the top half of the wall. Dilute 1 tiny drop of yellow mixed with a dot of moss green gel food color in clear vanilla extract for the wall color.
5. Press a patterned paper towel over the food color paint.
6. Lift the towel away to reveal a 'wallpaper' pattern.
7. Tear away a tiny piece of a sea sponge and dip it in undiluted moss green food color. Press it onto the cake to create a leaf pattern.
8. Using a fine tipped artists' brush, paint on dots of rose gel food color to add a floral element to the wall.
9. Use the same brush dipped in undiluted black food color to paint the letters onto the wall. You can find several examples of the wall online (like this one) as a guide.
10. Dilute a little of the black food color in a drop of clear vanilla extract, use the fine-tipped artists' brush to paint the Christmas light wires above the lettering.
11. Use a large, soft dry art brush dipped in dark cocoa powder to create a darkened vignette around the edge of the lettering.
12. Paint black lines on the chocolate fondant to make the paneling more realistic. Brush the entire paneling piece with dark cocoa powder.
Make The Upside Down:
1. Roll and cut a black piece of fondant in the same way the chocolate fondant was cut for the paneling piece (8.5 x 2.5 inches).
2. Use blue gel food color mixed with white liquid food color to paint tree trunks with upward stretching limbs on the fondant. Dip a barely damp sea sponge in the paint and pat it on the limbs to create leaves.
3. Dip a sturdy flat head art brush (about 1-inch wide) into the paint mixture and then flick it onto the fondant by bending the brush head back with a finger and then letting it go. This creates the floating motes you see in The Upside Down.
4. Turn the fondant piece upside down. Attach it to the bottom edge of the cake with dots of corn syrup on the back side. Paint tree silhouettes upright on the white fondant in the same way you painted the blue trees, except use black gel food color barely diluted in clear extract.
A quick note about the cassette tape! You can use an actual cassette tape to make an impression into fondant. Please make sure the cassette tape is clean before you use it because most have been gathering dust for decades. Prep it by wiping it down with a soapy cloth, then go over it with an alcohol pad. Get in any nooks and crannies that might be harboring debris.
Make the cassette tape:
1. Ask your mom or dad for an audiocassette tape, and then laugh about how old they are. Or select one from a box in the attic. Roll a piece of well-kneaded (non-sticky) black fondant to 1/2-inch thick, and then press the cassette tape on top to make an impression.
2. Lift the cassette tape away to reveal the impression. Use a small paring knife to cut out the cassette shape.
3. Use a drinking straw to make the reel holes.
4. Cut two small pieces of edible wafer paper for the labels. Use a food color marker to write the names of the band and album name. You could label this as 'mixtape' instead to stay truer to the show. Attach the labels with a light coating of corn syrup on the backs of the papers.
5. Attach the cassette to the cake using corn syrup on the back. I used a small fondant punch to create a track pattern around the edges of the reel holes. This is optional, as not everyone will have this.
6. Dust lightly with silver luster dust - again, this is optional but it makes the details of the impression clearer.
Make the phone:
1. The yellow rotary phone that becomes charred due to supernatural activity is a total throw-back! Cut a yellow piece of fondant free-hand into the shape of a receiver, and attach it to the cake with corn syrup.
2. Dry brush cocoa powder and black gel food color onto the transmitter and receiver to make it look as if it were burned. Use the food color marker to draw haphazardly winding phone cords.
We know the above option takes a lot of DIY skills. So if you would prefer to create simple cupcakes, our cupcake toppers are perfect to take them up a notch and have them match the theme as well! These are a lot less work with very easy assembly!
Strange Times DIY Cupcake Toppers: Featuring the different icons in the series, these fun cupcake toppers are perfect for any enthusiast of Stranger Things. Start by placing the backing paper on a flat, dry surface. Position the stick in the middle-bottom of the backing paper, about 3/4 of the way up. Peel a sticker off the included sheets and carefully apply it over the stick, keeping the stick approximately in the middle of the sticker. Position the sticker so that it is in the middle of the backing paper and press gently to adhere.
4. The Games
Now that the food is ready, are you all set to entertain your guests at the coolest '80s party on the block? Here are some great party games your guests will enjoy!
- Eggo Eating Contest: You know Eleven's favorite food was Eggos! So why not have an Eggo eating contest? Pile a stack of waffles up on the plates and see who can finish first! Make sure you have a judge with a timer ready to go! (And maybe a trashcan nearby in case a contestant eats too much!)
- Eggo Recipe Contest: If food eating contests aren't you're thing and you don't want to see who can finish the Eggos first, have guests create an Eggo concoction using the ingredients at the toppings table and have a contest for who made the best tasting waffle! Select 3 judges so there is not need for a tiebreaker, and then have the judges choose a winner for the best combination of toppings!
- Guess Joyce's Message: Remember that Christmas lights communication wall we recommended decorating with and including a message for your guests? Well, it's time to make it a game! To help your guests guess the message, draw out blanks on a piece of paper so that guests know how many letters to choose. Have guests guess the message from your communication board, and the first one to guess it right will win!
- Demogorgon Hunt - Designate a player to be the Demogorgon; blindfold the player. In a designated play area, the “Demogorgon” must find and tag the other players only by touch and sound. The other players must be accessible and stay within the play area, and they cannot move once they’ve decided on their hiding spot.
- Flashback - Using 80s photo props or other 80s symbols, hold one up and the first person to shout out the proper name of the object gets a point. Have someone keep score of who’s getting what points. It is up to the person holding up the prop whether the players correctly guess the object. For example, a Rubik’s Cube cannot be called a game cube in order to receive the point. A boombox needs to be called boombox instead of a radio.
- 80s Style Board Games - There are many games from the era before video games that would be fun to play at your party. Try:
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Lazer Ryders
- Guess the Song - This one may be a little challenging, but you know your intended audience better than we do. Create a mix cassette tape of 80s songs and have players guess what the name and/or artist of each song is. Have someone keep score of who accrues points.
- “Missing” Posters - Have players create their very own “Missing” posters in honor of Will Byers.
- Find Will - Provide a list of cascading clues telling players how to get to The Upside Down and locate Will. The first player to solve all the clues wins. You can move guests throughout the house and stash a doll or a dummy as Will. Make sure the guests know that there’s no peeking or cheating; they must follow your list and work from the clues provided.
- Dress-Up - If you have old clothes lying around or have time to visit a cheap thrift store, pick up 80s-style clothes and have the guests dress up as their favorite characters. It doesn’t have to be shot-for-shot, but make sure to provide enough clothing that players are able to resemble different characters. As a twist, have them guess who one another is.
- Forts - Use chairs, pillows, blankets and couch cushions to have the kids create their own cool forts and tents. This is a fun, interactive, inexpensive idea that the kids will absolutely love. Provide flashlights or Christmas lights to make the environment more Stranger Things-esque.
- Who Said It?: Pick 10-12 of the most memorable quotes from the show and then have one person read them aloud while guests write down their guess for who said what. Whoever has the most correct answers, wins!
Here are a few of our favorite quotes for the "Who Said It?" game:
Jonathan: You shouldn’t like things just because people tell you you’re supposed to.
Hopper: Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
Jonathan: Don’t take it so personally, okay? I don’t like most people. He’s in the vast majority.
Joyce: This is not yours to fix alone. You act like you’re all alone out there in the world, but you’re not. You’re not alone.
Jonathan: Sometimes people don’t really say what they’re really thinking. But you capture the right moment, it says more.
Joyce: Maybe I’m crazy, maybe I’m out of my mind! But God help me, I will keep these lights up until the day I die if I think there’s a chance that Will’s still out there!
Dustin: I am on a curiosity voyage, and I need my paddles to travel. These books…these books are my paddles.
Mike: I asked if you wanted to be my friend. And you said yes. You said yes. It was the best thing I’ve ever done.
Eleven: Friends don't lie.
Murray Bauman: People don't spend their lives trying to get a look at what's behind the curtain. They like the curtain. It provides them stability, comfort, definition.
Mike Wheeler: No... no El, you're not the monster. You saved me. Do you understand? You saved me.
Dustin Henderson: Why are you keeping this curiosity door locked?
- The Upside Down Slime: Make a slime station a rad addition to your party! Thanks to queen-of-theme-party-games.com, we have everything you need for an Upside Down Slime station!
- 1/2 cup Elmer's glue
- Food coloring
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of shaving cream
- 1 tablespoon contact lens solution
Measure the Elmer's glue into a bowl. Add a few drops of food coloring. Make it slightly darker than you want because the shaving cream will lighten the color. Now Mix in baking soda, next the shaving cream, and then finally add in contact lens solution and stir. The combination will start to come together. Take it out of the bowl and knead well. The slime will be sticky, but the stickiness will lessen the more it is handled. Your guests will love The Upside Down slime and can take it home as a party favor!
Speaking of party favors, here is a great list of some of our theme-related party favors we know you will love!
Stranger Things Mini Mystery Figures: You'll find a cool collector's item in these Stranger Things Mini Mystery Figures! These cool boxes contain a surprise figure from Stranger Things; vinyl figures measure roughly 2.5" to 3" tall. There are 12 character possibilities, so be ready for a variety!
Stranger Things Pop! Vinyl Figures: Nab up this cool "Eleven" Pop! Vinyl Figure! This cool accessory is great as a gift or collector's item. This cool figurine comes in its own box and measures about 3.5" high.
Stranger Things Vehicle Decals: Show your love for all things extraordinary with this Stranger Things Vehicle Decal! This fun accessory features "Hawkins Power and Light" written in white lettering on a clear background and is great for windows or other sections of the car. Decal measures 6" long x 2.25" tall.
Stranger Things 4-Piece Vehicle Decal Sets: Soup up your ride with this Stranger Things 4-Piece Vehicle Decal Set! This cool set comes with one van decal reading "Hawkins Power and Light" and three decals of characters riding bicycles. Measurements are: 4" x 1.5" for van and roughly 1.25" x 1.25" for bicycles.
Strange Times Stickers: Each of our stickers feature fun designs. Each sheet contains 4 stickers with 6 different designs, for a total of 24 stickers. Our Strange Times sticker sheets contain 4 of each of the following designs: Dustin's hat, a retro phone, a waffle, a walkie talkie, a jumbo flashlight, and a cassette tape.
Strange Times Bookmarks: Inspire your party guests to start their next literary adventure with these cool Strange Times Bookmarks!
Stranger Things Iron-On Patches: Add a fun accessory to almost any piece of clothing with this Stranger Things Iron-On Patch! This cool patch measures about 3" long x 1.25" tall and includes basic ironing instructions. You'll want to put this decal on the guest of honor's party attire for sure!
Strange Times Wristbands: Our cool wristbands fit both kids and adults! Each of our wristbands feature fun designs engraved into the rubber. This means that the design won't wash away and won't fade.
If you are looking for a personal game to do when you are watching Stranger Things, try a Women's Health Stranger Things workout.
- Every time the kids get on their bikes: 10 bicycle crunches
- Every time the lights flicker: 5 pushups
- Every time an epic '80s song plays: 15 jumping jacks
- Every time Eleven enters a scene: 11 squats
- Every time Barb is mentioned: 20 lunges
- If or when the Demogorgon appears: 10 burpees
What to expect from Season 3:
Now that you have your party planned and everything is ready to go, here are the must-know details of Season 3!
In September 2018, executive producer and director Shawn Levy said during the Emmys that “cinematically, it’s our biggest season yet”, which explains the additional time required to film season three.
Hawkins has had some changes when it picks up in the summer of 1985 -- and it's not just puberty! When it comes to changes, the Upside Down is not one of them! This place is still as creepy as it was from the start! But though there are some changes, the core group of kids are still the same: Mike (Finn Wolfhard), Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown), Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo), Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin), Will (Noah Schnapp), and Max (Sadie Sink).
Creator Matt Duffer said, “The season takes place during the last summer before high school. The kids are growing up, and that transition is going to be messy and awkward and painful. Are they able to grow up without growing apart? Eleven closed the Gate, but the Mind Flayer is still alive in the Upside Down. The biggest tease of all is when Matt says: “It will find another way into Hawkins... It’s just a matter of time.”
Eleven and Mike are now in a relationship and Hopper is struggling with single parenting and balancing the controlling tendencies he has. To find out more, you'll have to wait until July 4th!
There will be eight episodes in Season 3 with the following titles:
Suzie, Do You Copy?
The Mall Rats
The Case of the Missing Lifeguard
The Sauna Test
The Battle of Starcourt
Is this the last season? According to Gaten Matarazzo, he said: “I know that [with] Matt and Ross, their goal is not to go as many seasons as possible…It’s to go until they finish their story, and I’ve heard the magic number is either four or five. We just finished up three – three is not the last one planned.”
Here is the trailer for the new season you won't want to miss:
Now that you have your party planned, it's time to reach into the Upside Down and gather everything you need for the strangest party ever! To see all our Strange Times party supplies in one place, click here.
Use Discount Party Supplies for Your Stranger Things Event!
We at Discount Party Supplies carry an extensive line of our very own Stranger Things-inspired party supplies! Check them out and don't forget to have a look at the rest of our articles for even more great party ideas.