Harry Potter has been adored by many for years, and adoration is likely not going to end any time soon. The first book was published in 1997 and the last movie was released in 2011. Years later, the popularity of Harry Potter has stayed the same! It's a party theme that guests all love and enjoy, and we want to help you make your Harry Potter themed party a HUGE SUCCESS! We have everything you'll need in this post: Decorations, Partyware Supplies, Games, Food, and Party Favors! Read this post or bookmark it as a great resource for when the time comes you will gather together your wizard-loving friends for a celebration they'll never forget!
Before you can have a party, you'll need to get the perfect Harry Potter themed party invitations! We have the perfect ones below:
After you send your party invitations, it's time to start party planning!
1. Decorations & Supplies
You've sent the invites, and now it's time to get the partyware! At Discount Party Supplies, we have the perfect partyware for your Harry Potter party! There are two themes to choose from: Harry Potter or Wizard Academy. They both go together great!
If you want to find everything you need in one all-inclusive package for your wizard-lovers special day, then check out our Harry Potter Party Packs and Wizard Academy Party Packs! Featuring dinner plates, dessert plates, napkins, cups, and table covers. Each pack contains all the basics and tableware for up to 16 party guests.
If you'd rather get supplies individually, check out our partyware below:
1. Harry Potter Dinner Plate: All four Hogwarts House crests are present on our Harry Potter Dinner Plates! Our plates are designed at 350 grams per square meter. They’re stronger and sturdier than other party brands. Use these plates to hold everyone’s favorite snacks, appetizers, or even a light meal. Our 9-inch plates come in packs of 8.
2. Harry Potter Cups: These sturdy paper cups hold up to 16oz of hot or cold liquid, so they're great for any time of year. They hold up under multiple uses so your guests can use the entire party long and you'll end up with less to clean up at the end of your party!
3. Harry Potter Napkins: These Harry Potter napkins will keep your guests neat and tidy throughout the party. Our napkins feature the Hogwarts crest and images for Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw houses that any fan will flip for! They come in packs of 16.
4. Harry Potter Tablecovers: These plastic tablecovers are perfect for inside or outside use! Decorate your party tables quickly and easily with the help of our fun party table covers. Each table cover measures 54" x 84", the perfect size for your party tables.
1. Wizard Academy Dinner Plates: Cast a spell on your party guests with these awesome Wizard Academy Dinner Plates! These sturdy paper plates come 8 per pack and feature a brilliant wizard design and are perfect for your next Harry Potter or other magic-themed get-togethers.
2. Wizard Academy Cups: Brew up a magical potion to serve in these Wizard Academy Party Cups! These sturdy paper cups hold 9 ounces of hot and cold beverages and are perfect for your next Harry Potter get-together. They come in packs of 8.
3. Wizard Academy Napkins: Bring out the magic of your next event with these Wizard Academy Lunch Napkins! These cool paper napkins feature an exclusive Harry Potter-inspired design and are perfect for your next wizard-lovers get-together. There are 20 napkins per pack.
4. Wizard Academy Tablecovers: Turn your party table into a brilliant land of magic with these Wizard Academy Tablecovers! These sturdy plastic table decorations measure 54" x 108" and are intended for use with square party tables.
To give your party a real Hogwarts Academy feel, you're going to need the right kind of decorations! We have balloons, banners, door signs, and more!
1. Harry Potter Banner: This banner will only be used at a birthday event since the banner says "Happy Birthday." Every House is represented on these Harry Potter Birthday Banners! The banners measure 6 feet when hung.
2. Harry Potter Foil Balloon: Complete your Hogwarts ensemble with this Harry Potter Foil Balloon! This academy worthy balloon features all the house symbols and is great for birthdays and other celebrations. Inflate with helium to measure 18" inflated.
3. Hogwarts Party Decorating Pack: Top off your event with these Harry Potter Decoration Kits! These fun kits include everything you need to complete your next magical event: 2 mini honeycomb centerpieces, 4 hanging swirl decorations, and 1 flag banner.
1. Wizard Academy Banners: Create a magical event with these Wizard Academy Jointed Banners! These 7-foot vibrant banners are perfect for birthdays!
2. Wizard Academy Door Signs: Cast a spell over your party guests with this Wizard Academy Door Sign! This cool Potter-inspired sign measures 18" x 12" and says "All Wizards Welcome!". The sign hangs easily with tacks or tape and is safe for indoor and outdoor use.
3. Wizard Academy Party Signs: It's "A Birthday Most Magical" with this Wizard Academy Party Sign! This Potter-inspired paper sign measures 12" x 18" and hangs easily with tacks or tape.
A well-decorated party is great, but don't forget the food and drinks for your little wizards! Whether you're doing finger foods or an entire dinner for your guests, what's a Harry Potter party without (non-alcoholic) Butter Beer to go with it?
Here is everything you need to make the perfect wizardly drink from Design Dazzle:
2 liters of Vanilla Flavored Cream Soda
2 tbsp. butter extract
2 tsp. rum extract
7 ounces of marshmallow creme
1 cup whipping cream
1 tsp. rum extract
Take the 2-liter cream soda bottle and pour the butter extract and rum extract into the bottle. Take the 2-liter bottle and gently roll back and forth on the counter a few times to mix up the flavors. Keep chilled.
For the cream topping, combine the marshmallow cream, whipping cream and rum extract in a bowl. Whisk the ingredients together on high with an electric mixer.
When you're ready to serve, place a tablespoon of topping cream in the glass and pour the soda over the cream. If you want a creamy topping, then top the soda with the cream instead!
Store Butter Beer for your wizards in our Mini Potion Cauldrons! These fun plastic favors measure about 8" around and come with a handle for carrying. Your little wizards will love using these at the party and at home!
Here are some easy finger food ideas!
- Grab some strands of licorice and label them "licorice wands."
- Chop up some carrots and celery sticks and stand them upright in our Harry Potter cups with a spoonful of hummus. Label them as veggies from Professor Sprout’s vegetable garden!
- Serve a bowl of gummy worms and label them "Slytherin Snakes."
Label all these foods with our Chalkboard Food Markers.
Dessert is an essential part of a great party! Whether you choose cake or cupcakes, be sure to choose desserts that fit the look of your theme! Of course, there are elaborately decorated cakes, but you can keep it simple like the Harry Potter cake below. With white icing covering a square cake, just add some black hair and glasses, a red and yellow square patterned scarf, and of course a lightning bolt above the glasses! Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect!
If you're not confident in your cake decorating skills, make a simple cupcake magically fit the theme in just a few simple steps!
Cast a spell over your party guests with these Wizard Academy Cupcake Toppers! These fun toppers are a great DIY activity to do with your kids and will make your cupcakes look enchanted! There are enough toppers for 24 cupcakes! They can be placed on regular chocolate or vanilla iced cupcakes.
- Place the included backing paper on a clean, flat surface.
- Place the top of the lollipop stick at the approximate center/middle point of the colored backing paper. This should leave the top half of the backing paper above the lollipop stick and the bottom half of the backing paper behind the top part of the lollipop stick.
- Remove a sticker from the sticker sheet and apply the sticker over the lollipop stick. Press down firmly and smooth out the length of the sticker to ensure that the sticker and backing paper are secure. This should leave the sticker and backing paper tightly wrapped around the lollipop stick.
- Stick the cupcake picks in the top of your cupcakes, serve and enjoy!
Once your cupcakes and toppers are ready to go, display your cupcakes on our white 3-tier cupcake stands!
Your Harry Potter cupcakes will be the talk of your party while displayed on our White 3-Tier Cupcake Stands! These stands hold between 16 and 24 cupcakes depending on cupcake size.
Measurements are as follows:
- 1st Tier: 7.9in
- 2nd Tier: 9.9in
- 3rd Tier: 11.9in
- Height: 14.5in
- Base Width: 10.5in
1. Each cupcake stand comes with 5 pieces: 2 pieces to form the stem and 3 tiers. The largest tier goes on first, then the middle-sized tier, then the smallest tier.
2. Using the 2 stem pieces (the pieces with arms), set the shorter piece inside the longer piece. The base should now have an "x" shape and should stand on its own.
3. Take the largest tier and align the slits in the middle with the "x" shape of the stem. Push the stem through the slits in the tier and carefully guide the tier down until it sits on top of the base's bottom legs.
4. Take the middle-sized tier and align the slits in the middle with the "x" shape of the stem. Push the stem through the slits in the tier and carefully guide the tier down until it sits on top of the middle set of stem arms.
5. Take the smallest tier and align the slits in the middle with the "x" shape of the stem. Push the stem through the slits in the tier and carefully guide the tier down until it sits on top of the top set of stem arms.
6. Your cupcake stand should now look like the pictured product. You can place up to 24 cupcakes on a stand at once. It's easiest to fill from bottom to top; place cupcakes across from one another as opposed to straight up one side to avoid the cupcake stand tipping from uneven weight.
4. Games & Activities
You have want-to-be wizards at your party, so you know for a FACT they are ready to have some fun! Here are a few game ideas for your Harry Potter themed party!
Wand Making Station
Set up a wand making station! All you need are some sticks (make sure they are sanded down) and then provide paint and additional craft supplies for your little guests to paint their own wands! Set them somewhere to dry during the party (make sure names are labeled somehow) and then your guests can pick them up at the end of the party to take home!
Photo and wand tutorial from: Rhubarb and Wren
Potion Making Station
Another fun station to have at a Harry Potter Party is a potion making station! Include small cups and jars of ingredients such as baking soda, vinegar, Karo syrup, glitter, and food coloring! Then let your guests play around with different creations! Be sure you have a Wizard-themed tablecover to catch any "explosive" spills!
Photo from: The Imagination Tree
Toss The Ball Into The Cauldron
This is a simple game in which you only need a cauldron and a ball! Set the cauldron far enough away from the players so that it makes it a bit challenging for guests. Then give them a ball (be sure it's a good size to land inside of the cauldron) and shoot and see how many each guest can get out of five. If there is a tie at the end, play another round to see which wizard takes the win and scores the most!
At the end of the party when all of the games have been played and guests have enjoyed the sweet treats and finger foods, don't forget the party favors! We have glasses, wands, bracelets and even more here!
Now that you have everything you need to plan a Harry Potter themed party, it's time to start planning! Send out the invitations, grab the partyware, decor, and food ingredients, and start planning the games and activities! You're sure to wow your guests and give them a magical fun-filled day!